Now that Hallowe’en and Bonfire night are out of the way, Christmas is the next big event in the calendar. This year, get organised with our checklists so nothing gets forgotten nearer the time.
- Make your Christmas cake now, so it’s got time to mature before the big day. It should be kept in a cool dry place in an airtight container, and ‘fed’ once a week with a couple of teaspoons of brandy to keep it nice and moist. The Christmas pudding needs less time to mature, so you don’t need to think about that just yet. If you’re making your own mincemeat, you can also make it now and keep it in airtight jars until you need it.
- Plan family activities. If you have children, chances are you’re already starting to get notices with the dates of carol concerts and nativity plays. Start to add these to a wall planner or calendar along with your own work outings or social events, so you don’t get double-booked.
- Go through your Christmas card list and make sure you’ve got up to date addresses for everyone. Buy sufficient Christmas cards, and make sure you’ve got enough stamps. When you’re shopping for cards, stock up on other essentials such as Sellotape, wrapping paper and ribbon.
- If you’re having guests over Christmas, take a look at spare rooms now to see if anything needs doing before hand. If you need more bedding or towels, now’s the time to buy them.
- Book any meals out. If you’re planning to go out for a family meal, either on Christmas Day itself or during the December run up, it’s best to make a reservation now as restaurants get booked up quickly. Here at the Swettenham Arms we’re planning a full programme for the festive season, with party nights and Christmas Day celebrations. Visit our events page for more information about what’s on, or call us on 01477 571284.